Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The gift that almost wasn't.......



I found this little 12 inch unfinished wooden sled at my local thrift shop last summer for under a dollar.  I knew I could do something with it for the holidays.  I picked up Echo Park's Season's Greetings paper collection and layered chipboard recently and decided it would be perfect for this altered project.  I had no idea what a rough time I would have.  I used Tim Holtz/Ranger pewter crackle paint on the the runners of the sled.  I neglected to read the bottle and follow the directions to paint raw wood before applying the crackle paint.  What a terrible time I had.  My wonderful husband literally had to "talk me off the ledge".  I wanted to throw it out and uttered more than one choice word.  I was so frustrated with myself and the more upset I was, the worse the project got....I dripped pewter paint on the beautiful red paper and in trying to remove it tore the paper.  But Dave helped me settle down and I put it aside overnight and calmly worked on it over the next several days until it turned out presentable.  I am entering it in the Facebook contest that Echo Park is currently running and also over at Frosted Designs this week where their challenge is to use die cuts on a projects.  The paper, small letters and layered chipboard are all from Echo Park Season's Greetings, the larger letters are from Echo Park's collection Little Boy and the ribbon , sparkling snowflakes and rhinestones are all from my stash.

I made this door hanging for my son Matt and his wonderful wife Amy.  It is currently getting packed up and tomorrow will be on it's way to the midwest.  I hope they like it.  And a million thanks to my patient and loving husband for his support of me and my hobby.  I love you Dave!

Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. It might not have been an easy project but it sure turned out BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute!! I'm sure they will love it. Thanks for playing along with us at Frosted Designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is FABULOUS!!!!! wow love the way you decorated this!!!!! You did an excellent job on it!!!!! Way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks just beautiful and it got me thinking because I think I have one that I can redo! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an adorable project! I love old fashioned sleds! What a variety of die-cuts! I hope you'll create with us again at Frosted Designs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so stinkin cute and when I checked EP this morning I couldn't believe you didn't win!!! I can't tell you how many projects I have had that brought me to tears and/or had me throwing things across the room. My kids learned the hard way to leave Mom alone when she is trying to create....lol. I LOVE this and it is just a wonderful and thoughtful gift....I know they are just gonna love it and treasure it forever!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful project!
    Thanks for sharing - visiting from Paper Issues
    Lowri
    http://papervinenz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...